[U-Boot-Users] [RFD] Consistent debugging output structure

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Mar 24 09:14:22 CET 2003

In message <20030324062929.GO28544 at pengutronix.de> you wrote:

> > Yes, I agree, new code should not introduce it's own  "#ifdef  DEBUG"
> > stuff any more, but use debug() instead - but this is IMHO one of the
> > "nice to have" issues, not a really important issue.
>
> If you see it that way NOTHING is an important issue, because u-boot

Things that effect stability or  robustness  are  vitally  important,
also things that make it easier to port U-Boot to new hardware etc.

I don't think it is a good idea to globally change many source  files
just  to make the code more beautiful. U-Boot is running fine on some
100+ boards now, it has been seen in the Space Station, and  is  used
as  production firmware for quite a lot of commercial boards. For me,
stability and robustness are more important  that  worrying  about  a
"#ifdef DEBUG" when "debug()" could have been used.

> somehow works. I think that we agree that the code is a huge mess in
> quite a lot of places, and having a unified debug mechanism would make
> it better.

We already do have such a "unified"  debug  mechanism,  and  you  are
welcome to use it in your code, and everybody else, too. Use it where
it fits. Where it doesn't fit, use something else.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The man on tops walks a lonely street;  the  "chain"  of  command  is
often a noose.