[U-Boot-Users] linux doesn't boot when CS for initial cache disabled

Thomas Schäfer tschaefer at giga-stream.de
Fri May 9 17:52:17 CEST 2003

Hi all,

I want to port u-boot to a custom board based on the walnut board where
CS0-CS7 are in use by separate chips. I tried to program CS4, which is used
for temporary stack and data before relocation, with the settings for a chip
after the relocation has been done. u-boot seems to work fine with this
setting, global data structure and board info structure are located in RAM
and contain the correct values. Loading a kernel via tftp works without
problems. As soon as I'm trying to boot the kernel, the system hangs after
the kernel has been uncompressed. Trying to debug the kernel boot sequence,
I found that the function reloc_offset seems to hang in an endless loop.

My question is: why is that CS for the temporary stack of u-boot important
for the start sequence of the linux kernel? The Readme says that this stack
and data area is only used before relocation of u-boot.

Any comments would be appreciated

Best regards,

Thomas Schäfer

GIGA STREAM - UMTS Technologies GmbH