[U-Boot-Users] [patch] MPC8266 March-C memory test

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue May 20 21:55:40 CEST 2003

In message <20030519220854.GA15969 at zumanetworks.com> you wrote:
> Should this also be portable to the 8xx[F]ADS platforms?

Please note that  there  is  also  extensive  POST  code  for  MPC8xx
systems, which includes an IMHO excellent memory test.

> I am currently debugging UPM/memory problems, and a real memory test
> would be invaluable :)

It won't help  much.  Usually  memory  tests  test  just  the  memory
_contents_  using  read  and  write  accesses,  while  99% of all RAM
problems happen in burst mode, i. e. while fetching  instructions  or
while  doing  DMA.  I  have  yet  to see a RAM test that catches this
reliably.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Do not underestimate the value of print statements for debugging.
Don't have aesthetic convulsions when using them, either.