[U-Boot-Users] interrupts.s/udelay accuracy.

Woodruff, Richard r-woodruff2 at ti.com
Thu May 29 18:39:06 CEST 2003

Perhaps its not worth worrying about in this context.  Several of the ports
use a simple split /1000 /1000 along with CFG_HZ to convert microseconds to
ticks.  When I grepped the config files I saw a pretty wide range of raw
frequency's including some below the megahertz range which the /1000's are
normalizing for.   A simple grep of the sources also shows many functions
use udelay with input ranges from 1 to 100,000,000.  I called out ethernet,
but I was more wondering about protocols which might like to delay.  In
fairness most if not all which use this correction are in the mhz range.

In my case I can set the tick rate for the free running decrementer in the
KHz range or in the Mhz range.  To allow for a variable CFG_HZ setting it
would be nice if the normalization did not assume megahertz, and nice to
allow for a wide udelay input, such that tmo *= CFG_HZ, would not overflow a
32 bit number.  I had used some code in the past which did use long long's
to normalize from various input levels, sec/milli/micro/nano, and converted
it to clock ticks with out dropping bits.

When I reached the point of wondering if I should use a bit more code, I
started to wonder if it was worth my time to even do it...thus I asked if
anything really needed it.

Regards,

Richard W.