[U-Boot-Users] Help with u-boot 0.4.0 and IBM ASH board

Stefan Roese stefan.roese at esd-electronics.com
Mon Nov 3 11:21:14 CET 2003

Hello Eric!

> I have an IBM ASH (NPe405h) board that I am trying to get
> U-Boot 0.4.0 running on.
> Ultimately, I'll port this over to our custom board that is
> very similar to the ASH, but I figured it would be better to
> start on a known platform.

Good idea!

> I downloaded the new 0.4.0 U-Boot and ran these two commands
> (after modifying
> the Makefile to run 'ppc_405-' instead of 'ppc_8xx'):
> 	make ASH405_config
> 	make all

Sorry, but the U-Boot ASH405 target is an "esd" custom board (PPC405EP
based) and _not_ the IBM Ash Eval Board! :-(.

> It flew through compile and link to produce the nice
> u-boot.srec.  I put that in
> my tftpboot directory, telnet'd over to the abatron 2000,
> erased ASH flash and
> programmed this new image in there.
>
> The result is an immediate SystemError LED illumination.
>
> I then switched from Flash to SRAM (one of the dips on the
> ASH board) and reloaded. Running from SRAM produces a program
> exception and jump to 0x700 almost right off the bat.
>
> I am running out of ideas on how to get U-boot and my ash
> board to cooperate.  Has
> anyone else that has tried this had the same problems?

I am afraid, but the IBM Ash Eval Board is not supported (to my
knowledge) right now. I don't think, that a NPe405h target is supported
at all. This should not be so hard starting from the PPC405GP.

Best regards,
Stefan.