[U-Boot-Users] Passing Linux kernel arguments

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Nov 14 12:27:44 CET 2003

In message <37FB7AA6F5F9814FB634A7BF4C35A6F501213C76 at ESEALNT442.al.sw.ericsson.se> you wrote:

> When passing Kernel arguments, is it necassary to populate the bootargs environment variable with
> the information found by using command ,

No, in general it  is  not  necessary.  Bootargs  is  used  for  boot
arguments  only.  [Well,  sometimes  it  _is_  -  like  when  passing
something like  "console=ttyS0,$(baudrate)"  or  when  using  special
features like protected RAM and passing "mem=$(mem)k" etc.]

> 5.9.1.1. bdinfo - print Board Info structure
> If I want these to be passed to the Linux kernel?

This  is  somewhat  architecture  dependend,  but  in  general   this
information already gets passed top the Linux kernel - for example on
PowerPC  using the bd_info structure, on ARM using approproiate tags,
etc.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I know engineers. They love to change things.             - Dr. McCoy