[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot success .. Linux big test

Sharad Gupta sharad at buckeye.ece.drexel.edu
Tue Nov 18 23:36:08 CET 2003

Hi,

I have been able to port U-Boot to our bare minimum custom board based on
MPC7455. With RS-232 the only peripheral to speak of, it was not a hard
job porting the U-Boot. I am able to run the example hello_world demo. I
had to change some cpu specific code at 1-2 places, I will like to submit
the patches as soon as I get a breather.

But now the big test for me is to run kernel on top of U-Boot. Looking at
u-boot README, I compared the u-boot.h file with linux's
include/asm/ppcboot.h. The only difference is the member bi_mon_func. I am
not able to find out if I have to replicate the same structure of monitor
functions in U-Boot to be passed to kernel on boot or is it handled
elsewhere ? Rite now, I am not able to figure out where the problem lies,
the execution hangs somewhere after handling the control to kernel at 0x00
and it seems my only hope is to put little debug messages (light up the 4
LEDs on board with the last 2-bytes of instruction address) at every
function call.

Thanks for helping,
Sharad Gupta