[U-Boot-Users] Enabling the data size parameter for memory commands like "md"?

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Tue Oct 14 14:02:40 CEST 2003

Hi Pasi,

> I'm playing around with a day-old cvs snapshot of U-Boot, using it with
> "make at91rm9200dk_config". My problem is the same with 0.4.0.
>
>>From the source (and from the usage help) I understand that at least the
> memory commands like "md" should accept (optional) data size parameter
> (.b/.w/.l) as the first parameter.
>
> How do you enable this? In my environment they don't work: 1) argv[0] is
> the command itself (like "md"), not the data size parameter from where the
> source tries to read it and 2) if I give the data size parameter, the
> upper framework counts the amount of parameters to be illegal and
> therefore certain commands give me an error message (the short usage).
>
> I suppose there is a #define missing? What is it? I could not quickly find
> it grepping the source, googling the net / mailing list archives.

I think you misunderstood the docs.  The size specification is not a
parameter but rather a part of the command name - that's why the
source looks at argv[0].  Check out the examples in our
documentation[1].

Cheers
  Detlev

[1] https://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/UBootCmdGroupMemory#Section_5.9.2.5.

--
You see, the best way to solve a problem is to rigorously define it in
terms of other people's problems, and then run away quickly.