[U-Boot-Users] Where does u-boot start when booting Linux?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Oct 14 18:51:15 CEST 2003

In message <6.0.0.22.2.20031014083032.02837c80 at 192.168.1.10> you wrote:

> >There no decompress() in the Linux kernel. So  U-Boot  always  starts
> >the Linux kernel right from the beginning.
>
> When compiling 82xx or 8xx kernels, you always get arch/ppc/boot/simple.

What do you mean with "you get it"? It comes with  the  source,  yes.
But you don't have to use it.

> I think I understand. For a very long time now I have been using
> zImage.embedded for booting. When I followed the u-boot instructions I used
> "vmlinux" which doesn't contain the boot loader. Right?

Right. vmlinux does not contain the bootstral loader,  all  functions
of which are already present in U-Boot.

> Thanks for the info. It has pointed me in a new direction. The problem I am
> having is the serial baud-rate is fine in u-boot but wrong when the kernel
> boots. Perhaps the clock dividers are setup differently by u-boot than
> expected by the 8260 implementation?

Perhaps you don;t pass the baud-rate  to  the  kernel?  Did  you  try
passing something like "console=ttyS0,$(baudrate)" ?

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Fascinating is a word I use for the unexpected.
	-- Spock, "The Squire of Gothos", stardate 2124.5