[U-Boot-Users] Re: U-Boot for AT91RM9200DK

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Oct 25 20:41:26 CEST 2003

Dear Rick,

in message <E1AD2xl-0000h1-00 at c-67-164-61-95.client.comcast.net> you wrote:

>   I have completely different crystals than the AT91RM9200DK.  Do
> you want me to put my clock settings in u-boot?  How about the 500

Yes, of course. If your board is supported by U-Boot you have to  put
your  clock  configuration  somewhere  in  the U-Boot code. Best idea
seems to be the board directory.

> different AT91RM9200 boards that get designed this year?  Do you want
> their specific stuff in u-boot?

Yes, of course. What else? If they are supported by U-Boot  you  have
to  put  their clock configuration somewhere in the U-Boot code. Best
idea seems to be the board directory.

>   By necessity u-boot is already nearing #ifdef hell because it
> supports so many devel boards (which is good).  If we all threw

There is no real need for an  #ifdef  hell.  I  agree  that  we  have
already  more than enough #ifdef's, but every now and then some parts
get cleaned up. And you can make a good contribution by avoiding  the
necessity  of  new #ifdefs by helping to implement a clean separation
of CPU and board dependend code.

> our specific board design stuff in there, I don't think anyone in
> their right mind would use u-boot.

If you don't throw in your board specific stuff  your  board  is  not
supported  by the public version of U-Boot. Which means you will have
to maintain your own version,  and  to  make  sure  to  publish  your
"private" version according to the GPL.

>   Just my opinion ;-)  Maybe Wolfgang disagrees.

As you can see, I do.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Be careful what you wish for. You never know who will be listening.
                                      - Terry Pratchett, _Soul Music_