[U-Boot-Users] Re: U-Boot for AT91RM9200DK

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Oct 25 20:45:52 CEST 2003

In message <E1AD43F-0000xt-00 at c-67-164-61-95.client.comcast.net> you wrote:

>   Isn't it true that the only reason you'd have this:
>
> > #ifdef CFG_USE_EXT_CRYSTAL
>
>   is so that you could configure non AT91RM9200DK hardware? (Since the

Yes, probably  (or  can  I  use  an  external  clock  source  on  the
AT91RM9200DK board).

> AT91RM9200DK uses a crystal) If the answer is yes than I would say it
> doesn't belong in u-boot.  If there were a switch on the AT91RM9200DK

You are wrong. We are talking about CPU dependend code. If this  does
not  allow easy (non-#ifdef'ed) adaption to different boards the code
is broken and needs fixing.

> board that allowed different clock freq's then I would agree.

The AT91RM9200DK is just one out of many boards, right? Please do not
insist on your implementation if your board specific code is  in  CPU
common files.

There is a simple rule: CPU specific code shall go into CPU  directo-
ries, board specific stuff shall go into board directories.

If the clock intialization is board dependend (as  it  looks  to  me)
that it does not belong into the CPU directory.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
In any group of employed individuals the only naturally  early  riser
is  _always_  the office manager, who will _always_ leave reproachful
little notes ... on the desks of their subordinates.
                                - Terry Pratchett, _Lords and Ladies_