[U-Boot-Users] u-boot debugging boot with gdb and bdi2000 in lubbock(PXA255) board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 4 18:07:59 CEST 2003

In message <3F575E48.1060507 at nabla-designs.com> you wrote:

> Thanks Wolfgang and Kyle for your advice. Now, I can debug the boot
> process from the first instruction. Finally I've created two binaries:
> u-boot to execute  and u-boot.debug (with TEXTBASE=0x0), to debug the
> first part of boot process. When the boot process arrives to the
> start_armboot function, I discard the current symbol file(u-boot.debug)
> and load the new one(u-boot).

You  don't  need  to  recompile  or  relink  with  TEXTBASE=0x0;  the
"add-symbol-file"  GDB  command  allows  you  to specify an arbitrary
target address.

> Now, I have a new (minor) problem. The execution order which shows the
> gdb seems to be wrong (I`ve stopeed at the start_armboot funcion and the
> lines which show the gdb are different of the real execution). I suppose
> that it is a compiler optimization problem. Anyone knows which are the
> suitable flags to use with the compiler to avoid this behaviour ?

This has been discussed many times before (just a few days before).

See section "Debugging - Tips and Tricks"  in  our  documentation  at
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/DebuggingTricks
Note that code size and performance will suffer from such mods.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Just because your doctor has a name for your condition  doesn't  mean
he knows what it is.