[U-Boot-Users] Bad Magic Number

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Tue Sep 9 15:15:39 CEST 2003

Hello James,

> I have ported uBoot to our adapted version of the MPC8260ADS board. I just
> changed the MPC8260ADS board config to suit our needs. The problem that I am
> having is that any with image that I try to boot ( Yes I have used mkimage)
> I just get "Bad Magic Number". I cannot think of anything else to try. I
> cannot get it to recognise any images produced by mkimage at all. I have
> tried most versions from 0.4.0 through 0.4.7 and all produce the same
> result.
>
> What could I be doing wrong?

Do the image files you created really contain the magic number in the
first 4 bytes?  You can check that fact like this:

[dzu]$ dd if=/tftpboot/uImage bs=4 count=1 | od -t x1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
0000000 27 05 19 56
0000004
[dzu]$

> This message is intended only for the use of the individual or
> entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is
> privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable
> law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
> or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to
> the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
> strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in
> error please return the message immediately to the sender and delete
> the message from your systems. Thank you.

A bit useless on a public mailing list....

Cheers
  Detlev

--
You get 3 opportunities to advertise your Rock band, no more.
           -- Proposed Symbolics guidelines for mail messages (1984)