[U-Boot-Users] PXA (XScale) memory layout

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 11 21:52:36 CEST 2003

In message <fc.004c4e48001c9311004c4e48001c9311.1c932e at rea.de> you wrote:

> is there any particular reason why the PXA uses a different memory
> layout than the other ARMs?

It's just that the ARM port (which comes from  the  ARMBoot  project)
was  implemented differently than everything else. So far, nobody had
enough resources to clean this up.

> It seems to be causing a certain amount of grief (and dirty workarounds,
> like e.g. in board/wepep250/wepep250.c lines 43..53) that
> cpu/pxa/start.S places stack (and heap) below the code instead of above.

It is CORRECT to have stack and heap below the code.

> I'd be grateful if somebody could enlighten me on this.

It's just hysterical reasons - ARMBoot was implemented  that  way.  I
don't know why they broke the PPCBoot style.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"One thing they don't tell you about doing  experimental  physics  is
that sometimes you must work under adverse conditions... like a state
of sheer terror."                                    - W. K. Hartmann