[U-Boot-Users] Kernel hangs after decompressing.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 11 22:13:35 CEST 2003

Dear David,

in message <OF3E9CBE7C.9BB06BA6-ON85256D9E.005F4E7C at nanometrics.ca> you wrote:

> I am trying to bring up an uImage made from a Timesys 4.0 kernel on a EP860
> board with u-boot 4.0 as the bootloader.   I did a small port to make

U-Boot 4.0? Wow! You must be living in a far future.

We're stills tuck with version 0.4.x ;-)

> I copied the bd_info structure from u-boot.h to rpxclassic.h in the kernel

This is wrong. You should include ppcboot.h in rpxclassic.h.

> When I try autobooting the kernel image from the tftp server, it hangs soon
> after the kernel is uncompressed.
>    Load Address: 00100000
>    Entry Point:  00100000

This cannot work. The powerpc kernel requires load address  ==  entry
point = 0x0000.

> I had to move the load address up from 0x0 to pass the uncompressing stage.

You added another problem instead of solving the first one.

> I'm not sure why loading to 0x0 causes problems since the examples in the
> readme all use 0x0 as the load address.

0x0000 is needed.

> I made the uImage from vmlinux in the top level directory and the
> vmlinux.gz from arch/ppc but they hanged at the same point.

Did you read the README? You should.

> I would really appreciate any suggestions you can give me to try on the

RTFM.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
... not meant for the weak-at-heart: /^(?=.*one)(?=.*two)/
If you can follow that, you can use it.
          - Randal L. Schwartz in <ukpw67rhl3.fsf at julie.teleport.com>