[U-Boot-Users] Re: Patch s3c2410 nand-boot.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 18 12:31:59 CEST 2003

Dear Gianluca,

in message <3F68D1DF.7020007 at libero.it> you wrote:

> I send you my patch for s3c2410 ARM processor. This patch implements
> boot directly from nandflash. I haven't created new board in board
> directory but I have writed new config-file (smdk2410nand.h) that use
> smdk2410 board.

I have forwarded your patch to David Müller who is the maintainer for
the SMDK2410 board; I cannot test it myself.

> I tested with MAKEALL ARM9 my patch.
> I changed the frequency of internal clock of s3c2410 (for smdk2410
> borad) because (only) in this way the Linux Mizi kernel can boot correctly.
> The patch is based on u-boot 0.4.8.
>
> This is my first contribution to open source and I hope that it is
> useful to someone.

It is definitely useful, but I have a couple of questions:

* Which problem are you trying to address which is not  supported  by
  the existing NAND code?

* Is it necessary to implement this in a processor specific way?

* You add new configuration options like CONFIG_S3C2410_NAND_BOOT but
  do not include any  dosumentation.  At  least,  please  provide  an
  explantion  of these options for the README fie. If you feel longer
  explanations are needed create a new file  doc/README.NAND-Boot  or
  so.

David, I've forwarded the patch to you. Can you please have a look at
the implementation details? Thanks.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"If God had wanted us to use the metric system, Jesus would have  had
10 apostles."