[U-Boot-Users] Ethernet and detecting MAC addresses

Marius Groeger mgroeger at sysgo.com
Wed Apr 7 15:48:38 CEST 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Dave Peverley wrote:

> AFAICT from the source I'm using (1.0.2) none of the ethernet drivers
> bother with detecting their own MAC address (if available) and rather
> rely on hard/soft coded addresses. Is this an intentional by design, or

Actually the smc91111.c driver does something of the sort. See the
function get_rom_mac(). This is a very simplistic approach and it is
also invisible to the overall uboot structure. Maybe you can live with
such an approach?

Many embedded boards, however, will store their MAC address simply in
the global environment, so that's probably the reason why you don't
find what you're looking for.

Regards,
Marius

--
Marius Groeger <mgroeger at sysgo.com>           Project Manager
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software