[U-Boot-Users] Anyone had problems with the SMC lan91c96.c driver?

Dave Peverley dpeverley at mpc-data.co.uk
Mon Apr 26 13:25:15 CEST 2004

A quick poll ; We've experienced stalls doing TFTP with this driver every
so often on the P2 board (utilises the LAN91C96 chip) - I wasn't sure if
it was our board port or something else, but recently I've been using
another (omap) board with this LAN chip and u-boot and it appears to behave
the same way. So it seems reasonable to suspect the driver may be at fault.
Can anyone else confirm or deny whether they've seen this before on any
boards using this controller?

As an interesting aside, I heard from someone that they'd had problems
with performance / stability in Linux 2.4 with the smc9194 driver thats
credited as being one of the sources for lan91c96.c. Apparently though
the newer smc91x.c driver fixed this and also supports a greater number
of SMC controllers as an added bonus, so I've been idly wondering if this
is related, and if porting the more ubiquitous smc91x.c may be of value
at some point?

Best Wishes,

Dave Peverley