[U-Boot-Users] dynamic setting of CONFIG_SYS_CLK_FREQ

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Apr 26 16:00:22 CEST 2004

In message <408D0DC6.1050602 at intracom.gr> you wrote:

> We have a different definition of a "user" in mind it seems.
> Your users appear to be much more technical inclined than mine...

Every user is a user. User includes you and me. Butyes, we train  our
users to really emply the features of U-Boot, and many of them do. In
some  cases  I  was astonished myself to see what can be done by some
tricky environment definitions in combination with other features  in
U-Boot.

> Ideological purity is a worthy endeavor.
> The real world has different things in mind.

Maybe. But there is no reason that some perfectly  valid  real  world
requirements  should  be  implemented in a way that breaks the design
rules. I think this can be done in a clean way, too. And it  is  part
of my role as maintainer to keep an eye on clean design and code.

> >optional extension, but I really don't see that much benefit. Already
> >now it is pretty ifficult to find a variable definition  in  a  long,
> >multi-page "printenv" output.
> >

> Hmm, do I see a grep in the future? ;).

Probably not.

What Detlev Zundel and me have been discussing was the idea to create
logical  groups  of  environment  variables,  like  network   related
(ipaddr,  serverip,  netmask, ethaddr, hostname, ...), boot arguments
stuff, etc. We think that the capabilities of  environment  variables
would  be much easier to understand if variables that belong together
logically are printed together, too. We  put  this  discussion  to  a
(temporary)  rest  when  it became clear that we could not think of a
clever way to implement such groups  without  breaking  compatibility
with the existing storage format of the environment.

> Anyway, this discussion is pretty academic at the moment.

But very useful, I think.

> We'll cross this bridge when we get there.

Agreed.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.