[U-Boot-Users] Configuration System

Jon Loeliger jdl at motorola.com
Thu Apr 29 23:17:00 CEST 2004

Folks,

At the risk of opening a hot topic (again), I would like to
bring up the subject of using the Linux Kernel 2.5/2.6 kconfig
configuration mechanism.

I know that this topic has been discussed in the past, and
that there are some in favor and some opposed to the idea.
I also know that it won't be a clean-n-easy transition if
motion in that direction is started.

I have implemented build systems based on linux 2.5's kconfig
and believe that U-Boot would benefit from using such a
system as well.  I understand that there are some on the
list that "don't want to fix working code" as well. :-)

I am curious to know if others feel that this would be a
good direction for U-Boot, or if this is just a Bad Idea
that should be dropped immediately.

If there are others (Schurig? Schwebel?) that would like to
see this sort of configuration mechanism, and would like to
work on the side with me until we have something that is
clearly demonstrable to others (Hi Wolfgang! :-)), please
let me know.  I think it will take a bit of effort to get
to a point where a critical mass of infrastructure is in
place before the benefits of the mechanism will be seen.

Tread softly,
jdl