[U-Boot-Users] what exactly is netconsole

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 12 21:34:51 CEST 2004

Dear Andrew,

in message <411BBB19.4060800 at mc.com> you wrote:

> A recent post mentions that U-Boot now has netconsole features, at least
> on the ocotea PPC440 board. What type of functionality does this
> provide? I did find, on the web, that netconsole is UDP based at is
> typically used as a networked console for kernel debugging.

In general it is a good idea to  read  the  available  documentation.
Ideally, you do this BEFORE posting to the mailing list.

May I bother you to have a look at the doc/README.NetConsole file?

> Does this imply a "one-way" output connection only or does it allow a
> remote connection into the target - similar to telnet.

U-Boot has bidirectional communication over the network, i.  e.  both
stdin   and   stdout  can  be  redirected  (indepoendently!)  to  the
netconsole device.

> Our project requires remote network access to U-Boot because the
> deployed the system will not include a serial port.

It's ready to use...

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Philosophy:  A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.
- Ambrose Bierce