[U-Boot-Users] Problem building U-boot for RpxLite with Mpc823e

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Aug 15 23:16:12 CEST 2004

Dear Raphaël,

in message <200408151527.48616.ccool at ninjatech.biz> you wrote:

> > So what? If you think that parts of this documentation are  wrong  or
> > obsolete please point them out in detail.
>
> I was talking about Readme file : "doc/README.RPXlite" file. I thought that
> the section 1 might be obsolete.  With the documentation of my RPXlite, I
> have'nt found any VisionClick flash programmer.

That doesn't mean that the documentationis obsolete. You  can  buy  a
Visio*  Debugger  if  you  like  (*), but this is a complete separate
product and has nothing to to with the RPXlite.

(*) IMHO your money is better spent if you buy a BDI2000 instead.

> everything into the flash memory, I wanted to test it by loading it into the
> ram and execute the binary file.  ( the same way I do when I want to run

This cannot be done easily (*), and if  you  read  the  mailing  list
archive you will find why.

(*) "Not easily" means that you cannot do it if you have to  ask  why
    it's  not working or what needs to be done to get it working. And
    if you know these things, you will not do it because then  you'll
    also understand that it doesn't allow you to perform the test you
    are looking for.

> better, but it did'nt.  I guess that's why I'm looking for someone who could
> give me a few hints about how to run u-boot.

This is writtenin the docs: burn it into flash, and reset the board.

> As I understand it (and maybe this is where my problem is) I am supposed to be
> able tu run u-boot's binary (or s-record image) directly from the ram. Now,

No, you are NOT supposed to. There is not a single place in the  docs
which even faintly suggests this.

> I know these questions might sound "newbee" to you guys, but I really need to

Just stick with the written documentation, and  follow  it  verbatim;
don't speculate.

> know if this code is suppose to work alone, without any kernel, or it
> absolutly need to work under linux (a bit like when you run lilo from a
> "normal-i386" linux box)

You are confused. Running the "lilo" comand under Linux  has  nothing
to  do  with  running  the  "lilo"  boot  loader.  These  are totally
different programs.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Another megabytes the dust.