[U-Boot-Users] decoding 'program check exception trap'

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Aug 17 19:15:08 CEST 2004

In message <877aabc4040817045975185242 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> My situation is a bit similar as well. I too have a PCI card. However,
> we do have flash, so I use u-boot to initialize the SDRAM and UART on
> the board. After this is done, some binary (evenutally, a uImage) is
> to be loaded and run. How to synchroize these things? How to stop

Implement a protocol. I have no ideahow your  hardware  is  designed,
but  if  you  have  some kind of shared memory you will probably also
have thought about ways to synchronize access to it?

> u-boot so that image from the PCI can be transferred? Better would be

Why stop U-Boot? Just run a command  that  puts  it  into  "wait  for
download completed" state.

> to interrupt the host, and the driver then signals some userspace
> program to transfer the image. After this, signal the MV64360 that the
> binary is loaded, so that u-boot can then continue and transfer
> execution to the binary / uImage.

This is a design issue. As far as U-Boot on the PCI card is concerned
it should make no difference if the download is done by Linux  driver
or application code.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I had a letter in the post today.   It said 'Gas Bill'.   It sounds a
tempting offer...