R: [U-Boot-Users] MAC address question...

Paolo Broggini pbroggini at softool.ch
Thu Aug 26 11:47:59 CEST 2004

You can use 'ethaddr' env. variable. By keeping the environment variables in
separate flash sector you can re-flash the U-Boot sectors without worries.
That's actually what I do on our board, which doesn't have an EEPROM
connected to
the LAN91C111.

> However, changing the EEPROM MAC address is troublesome, because the
> /drivers/smc91111.c doesn't seem to support programming the attached
> EEPROM. (you can get_rom_mac, but not set_rom_mac).
>
> Before I started adding things, does anyone else have the same issue?
>
> What I was thinking of doing was defining some reserved memory
> locations of
> the processor as FLASH, and handle this in /board/specific/flash.c - a
> flash write to 6 memory locations will actually set the MAC
> address in the
> EEPROM attached to the LAN91111.

...wouldn't be better to implement a set_rom_mac() ?

> This solution is OK - it only effects my board, the downside is that if
> this is a problem other face, it doesn't help anyone else.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks
> -Robin

Regards,