[U-Boot-Users] MAC address question...

Ladislav Michl ladis at linux-mips.org
Thu Aug 26 21:17:30 CEST 2004

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 10:25:50AM -0700, Robin Getz wrote:
[snip]
> I have had a few beta users who had to change the MAC address, (to get DHCP
> working on their networks), but then started calling for help when they get
> these warning messages. I normally tell them to RTFM - but I was thinking
> that a better solution might be necessary.

Huh? In that case I would expect that they simply tell DHCP server about
new MAC address.

> The "solution" was add some functionality somewhere, to change the MAC
> address in the SROM. I thought U-boot might be the best bet - because that
> is where MAC addresses should be managed - in the boot loader. I know that
> this should be programmed during manufacturing (and it is), but there is no
> way to re-program the SROM MAC. (unless I am missing something?)
>
> >Defining memory locations of the processor as flash? ?? ???
> >
> >What exactly are you talking about????
>
> Today on my board, I have 4 Meg of Flash - If I define things as 4Meg + 6
> bytes, in the board/specific/flash.c in write_buff() - I can trap these +6
> bytes, and actually program the MAC in the SROM. This is bad form because I
> know I should not be accessing a device outside the /driver/smc9111.c file.

Set MAC function should definitely live in driver/smc9111.c, how to call
it is different story and I would expect that this function will be
called on setenv ethaddr command. See my earlier post.

Regards,
	ladis