[U-Boot-Users] MAC address question...

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Thu Aug 26 22:26:53 CEST 2004

At Thursday, August 26, 2004 12:38 PM Wolfgang Denk wrote:
[snip]
> > I have had a few beta users who had to change the MAC address, (to get
> > DHCP working on their networks)
>
>Why do you need to change a MAC address  to  get  DHCP  working???  I
>never  heard  such  a  thing before - of course I assume that you are
>distributing your boxes with valid MAC addresses only!?

The MAC addresses that I ship are valid MAC addresses - it was that their
DHCP server, only gave IP addresses to "valid" machines on their network
(valid = machines that the net admin knew about and wanted on the network).
Since they were hacking on this they did the best thing they could - they
unplugged the Windows machine, and stole it's MAC address, so their DHCP
server would give them an IP number that their routers liked.

>Such functionality has been added  before,  but  not  as  (statically
>linked)  part  of  U-Boot.  Please  see  examples/82559_eeprom.c  and
>examples/eepro100_eeprom.c for examples.

OK - I guess that is what I was looking for. If I made a smc91111_eeprom.c,
would you accept that back into the examples, and if someone wanted to
change it, they could do it from there?

I guess I really didn't look in the examples dir. In the README, it says
there are two simple examples - it didn't mention that there were complex
ones to :)

>I will not allow such dirty hacks in the public U-Boot source tree.

This is the reason I asked before I started coding -
My five favorite words "architect, design, implement, test, ship".

Thanks for the pointers - I will see what I can get from the examples dir.

-Robin