[U-Boot-Users] Initialize MAC Address w/out running dhcp

Michael Bendzick michaelb at logicpd.com
Fri Aug 27 00:37:27 CEST 2004

I just had to get in on the MAC address conversation, but in a different
way.

I have observed on my omap1510inn based board that Linux does not correctly
receive the MAC address unless I make use of networking in U-Boot prior to
bootm.

This network access can be either tftp'ing a file to the board or running
"dhcp".

Is there a way that I can set up the Ethernet chip (or is this in the board
info structure that U-Boot shares with Linux?) to have the "ethaddr" MAC
address without actually running a network command?  I.e., I don't want to
depend on a TFTP or DHCP server being present on the network in order to
start Linux with a static IP and valid MAC.

-Michael Bendzick
Systems and Software Engineering
Logic Product Development
michael.b at logicpd.com