R: [U-Boot-Users] can i load u-boot into RAM and jump to it as a test?

Figini Enzo enzo.figini at italtel.it
Fri Aug 27 09:47:01 CEST 2004

>    before i commit myself to reflashing with u-boot, i'd like to know
> if it's possible to just load it into RAM and use the current
> bootloader to jump to it, just to see the menu come up, nothing more.

You can do it, but for starting in ram some changes are needed;
for example, you cannot change IMMR or program SRAM controller when you
start from RAM.

For testing the personal modification of u-boot in my board, I have a
standard starting u-boot in flash (that I never modify when running fine),
and every change is made in the same version but compiled for starting in
ram; so I can test every change very quickly.
For adding command or some functionalities this is good, but you cannot test
all the HW init part.

Regards
  Enzo