[U-Boot-Users] can i load u-boot into RAM and jump to it as a test?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Aug 29 19:18:35 CEST 2004

Dear Robert,

in message <Pine.LNX.4.60.0408291024150.3835 at localhost.localdomain> you wrote:

> ok, i didn't mean to start this tendentious a thread, sorry.  what i
> was after was a way to "test drive" u-boot without committing it to
> flash, but there might be a simple way around this for me.

No, there isn't.

I don't understand why this seems to be so hard to believe:

In general, THERE IS NO WAY to test the final  U-Boot  image  without
burning  it to the correct location in flash (i. e. such that it gets
started when the processor comes up out of reset).

Get yourself a BDI2000, learn how to erase and program flash  memory,
and  just  burn  the image to flash; there is ZERO risk involved with
this. Actually it's the most natural way top develop  and  test  this
type of software.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
CAUTION:  The Mass of This Product Contains the Energy Equivalent  of
85 Million Tons of TNT per Net Ounce of Weight.