[U-Boot-Users] Questions of uImage on sbc8260 board

Richard Danter richard.danter at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 8 13:14:08 CET 2004

duo dong wrote:

> 1. NFS
>
> Do I have to use NFS to boot ? My server has problem
> and I'm using serial port only now. Is there another
> way to avoid using server? If I can, what steps I
> should follow?

No, you do not _have_ to use NFS, but it is a lot easier than using a
RAMDISK when your developing apps.

> 2. I'm trying to use ramdisk because the server is off
> and get errors. The kernel is build with reamdisk and
> loaded into RAM.

How exactly are you loading the kernel/ramdisk image?

> 3. => bootm
> ## Booting image at 00400000 ...
>    Image Name:   Linux Multiboot-Image

<snip>

> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> crc error<6>Freeing initrd memory: 1367k freed <<--??

I'm not sure what is causing this, was the image corrupted when you
downloaded? Maybe someone else can help us here..?

> VFS: Cannot open root device "" or 00:00 <<--

Your boot options should have root=/dev/ram0

> <<--
>  <0>Rebooting in 180 seconds..
>
> 4. I did not rebuild the ramdisk image, just use the
> one from SELF. Do I need rebuild it?

I used one of the Denx ramdisks with no problems and didn't need to
rebuild anything. I didn't build a unified kernel/ramdisk image though,
I just loaded the kernel and then the example ramdisk unchanged. Try that.

Rich