[U-Boot-Users] Parallel Flash devices and FLASH_CFI_X8X16

Andrew Wozniak awozniak at mc.com
Fri Dec 10 18:10:45 CET 2004

Hello everyone,

I'v been making progress on our port to a custom PPC440GX board.  We
want to use the CFI driver for all U-Boot Flash operations.

Our board design uses 2 Intel 16-bit wide StrataFlash chips wired in
"parallel". But with the following defines in place, flash_init()
crashes (attachment).

#define CFG_FLASH_CFI
#define CFG_FLASH_CFI_DRIVER
#define CFG_FLASH_PROTECTION

None of the U-Boot docs or source code describe a parallel chip
configuration, but the flash_cfi.h history entry does suggest its
support: 01/22/2004 - Write performance enhancements for parallel chips

The source also checks the status of info->interface for a value of
FLASH_CFI_X8X16.  I have not yet tried setting this "interface" value.

If anyone can suggest any other settings that I should be pay attention
to, please advise.

Thank you, Andy