[U-Boot-Users] Using u-boot as application-firmware upgrader / Performing logical operations?

Martin Egholm Nielsen martin at egholm-nielsen.dk
Wed Dec 22 10:23:11 CET 2004

Hi there,

I have plans of using u-boot as the last-and-ever-working
application-firmware-upgrade (in case my Linux [from NAND] is somehow
damged).
Hence my plans are that U-boot should perform the following on startup:

1) Try fetching new application-image using tftp against some hardcoded
address
2) Timeout after 2 secs if no connection (skip to pt 5) (logigs needed)
3) Perform some simple validation of the image - e.g. check that the
last bytes of the image is "egholm" (logics needed)
4) If validated, nuke the flash and put the new image on
5) Launch Linux kernel from nor with root-fs in nand

I reckon there is a problem with 2) where the remainder of the script
should only run in case the tftp-action went well. And the same goes for 3).

Does this idea have a future?
Please let me hear your comments...

BR,
  Martin Egholm