[U-Boot-Users] Is ramdisk a must or not?

Sam Song samsongshu at yahoo.com.cn
Mon Feb 2 16:02:28 CET 2004

Hi,

I cannot figure out some basic questions on ramdisk by
reading ramdisk & initrd documents in linux tree and
linux-ppc maillist.For the sake of more detailed
explanation on ramdisk from  DULG and this maillist,I
post the topic here for some help.Sorry for bothering
you all.

1.Is ramdisk a must or not for embedded application?In
URL
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-custom-kernel-initrd.html

and some web pages,they say an initrd image is needed
for loading your SCSI module at boot time.So if I
didn't use SCSI module,I would save the initrd
image.Is that so?

2.What advantage does ramdisk have?In which situation
should we use it?

3.After programming SELF 8xx image(from ftp.denx.de)
to flash on lite_dw,u-boot+kernel+ramdisk worked fine
on LCD panel(Thanks wolfgang providing such a workable
ramdisk).It displayed "Application running".What does
application refer to?Busybox or ramdisk itself?If I
want to make my added application in ramdisk run
automatically,how should I do?

Any advice is appreciated!

Best regards,

Sam