[U-Boot-Users] Is ramdisk a must or not?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 2 17:09:35 CET 2004

Dear Sam,

in message <20040202155834.49092.qmail at web15202.mail.bjs.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> Thanks for your nice reply.

You are welcome.

> It seems that ramdisk only support EXT2 file system.At
> least,the examples always take it for demo.

Well, this is just because ext2 is the  de-facto  default  filesystem
for  Linux. You can use any other filesystem on your ramdisk image as
well, as long as it permits to hold all relevant files (for  example,
you  cannot create any device nodes in a MSDOS / VFAT filesystem). In
many examples I have seen a minix filesystem was used  -  this  makes
sense, as the minix filesystem allows for a smaller kernel size.

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Common sense and a sense of humor  are  the  same  thing,  moving  at
different speeds.  A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.
                                                        - Clive James