[U-Boot-Users] malloc problem

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 9 11:50:53 CET 2004

In message <20040209045324.CD0D642FA7 at denx.de> you wrote:

> I am porting PPCBoot 2.0.0 to the Xilinx ML300.  I know
> PPCBoot is deprecated in favor of U-Boot, but the nearest port
> for our board was a PPCBoot port that I got from someone
> who never submitted their changes.

Shame on the unnamed third party!

> Everything works fine until the call from board_init_r() in
> lib_ppc/board.c  to devices_init().  Then somewhere in devices_init()
> there is a call to malloc() which never returns and overwrites
> much of system memory.

You can be pretty sure that the malloc() code is NOT the culprit  for
your problem.

> Has anyone else had problems like this?  I compared the
> malloc code from U-Boot 1.0.0 to PPCBoot 2.0.0 and except
> for spacing they look the same.  I then built PPCBoot with
> the dlmalloc.c from U-Boot and the problem is still there.

It may be anything, but  malloc  is  most  certainly  innocent  here.
Sorry, the information you provided is not sufficient for an educated
guess,  but  here is a wild speculation - are you 100% sure that your
SDRAM is working reliably?

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
To the systems programmer,  users  and  applications  serve  only  to
provide a test load.