[U-Boot-Users] malloc problem

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 9 15:48:54 CET 2004

Dear Mike,

in message <20040209141354.93048.qmail at web40112.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> I am suspicious of the way memory was initially
> allocated for the heap.  I'm not 100% sure that
> SDRAM works reliably, but it does boot and run
> a different version of Linux with no problem.  One

OK, this should be pretty save, then.

> thing, the version of PPCBoot that I have appears
> to have been written to utilize all 4 processors,
> while I am only using 1 CPU.

Ummm.. what do you mean about "utilize all 4  processors"?  U-Boot  /
PPCboot  is strictly single-tasking, so what are the other processors
used for?

> I have lots more info from putting nasty printf's
> all over the malloc code.  If I still can't figure it

I think this will not lead anywhere. Probably you  are  just  hunting
down post-mortem symptoms.

> out, I'll send the modified source and the
> trace from its execution.

Oh no, please not. The problem is most definitely somewhere else.

> These large sizes for victim->size really concern me.
> I think that if I can figure out why the victim->size
> goes so astronomical then I will have found the
> culprit.  I was hoping that maybe somebody had
> seen this problem before.

Check your memory map, stack depth, stack overruns (or underruns)  in
your  private  code, etc. I tend to believe that you either corrupted
the malloc internal data and/or the stack somehow.

> I just work up, its 7:08AM in Denver.  It will be

7 am? What a lousy time to get up ;-)

> PS:  I LOVE the sig on your message, Wolfgang!

:-) Just never mention it to the manager or the customer ...

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
SW engineering is a race between programmers trying  to  make  better
idiot-proof programs and the universe producing greater idiots.