[U-Boot-Users] patch for CFI flash driver

Josh Fryman fryman at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 23 21:29:28 CET 2004

hi brad,

> I think this patch will break 8bit x8/x16 implementions.

not surprising :) i was worried i was breaking things when i did that
solution, but wasn't sure how it would break.

> The reports I got back from the field indicated that the port width
> had to be halved to get flash writes to work sucessfully on 8bit
> x8/x16 implementations. I think there is a better solution to the
> problem than the one that was originally implemented.

i'm almost certain of it.  i don't design well after a long day of
debugging problems.

do you have a nice solution to the problem?  or do you just have the
same "there has to be a better way" feeling about it that i do?  i
can go back and try to actually design a proper solution, but i was
hoping the "fix" would give you the insight needed that you'd have an
elegant solution...

cheers,

-josh

(another idea was to malloc a sufficiently large buffer, read in
current flash contents, do the update to memory, then call the
existing -unhacked- routines to write back to flash on nice
boundaries to kill padding problems and alignment issues... but this
seemed like an even worse approach.)