[U-Boot-Users] Problems with u-boot, PPChameleonEVB and MontaVista kernel

Andy Hawkins a.hawkins at cabletime.com
Tue Feb 24 17:16:09 CET 2004

> Then you will either have to move all the  modifications  needed
for
> the PPCHameleon board into their kernel tree (thus creating
something
> which  again  is  not  the  original MV kernel), or have MV provide
> kernel extended in such way.

That's what I'm expecting to have to do, but unfortunately know where
to look for the changes I need to make is difficult.

> Yes, and this is your most  pressing  problem.  When  the
parameters
> passed  to  the  Linux  kernel are correct you will at least get
some
> boot messages, and see where the kernel crashes then (which  it
will
> do).

Well, I think I *have* matched up the two structures, but we're still
not seeing anything. Where can I put breakpoints in the kernel to try
to work out why we're not getting any boot messages?

> I think you can use another kernel  tree  (like  that  from  our
CVS
> server)  without problems. If you feel you must move our patches
into
> the MV tree please feel free to do so - all the history and
comments
> are available for free on our CVS server. You can extract the
patches
> that  are relevant for the PPChameleon board and try applying them
> the MV tree - I don't expect any serious problems there.

At the risk of asking newbie questions, how would I go about doing
this?

Thanks again for all the help so far, it's much appreciated.

Andy