[U-Boot-Users] Where can I find a libgcc.a with software FP.

Marius Groeger mgroeger at sysgo.com
Tue Feb 24 17:53:39 CET 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> In message <Pine.LNX.4.56.0402241626510.21705 at mag.sysgo.com> Marius Groeger wrote:
> >
> > This is a problem with the gcc/binutils toochain, which doesn't handle
> > -msoft-float the way we want it. The error you're seeing isn't really
> > one, since neither the U-Boot code nor the quoted functions in
> > libgcc.a actually use FP instructions. It's only the ELF binary tags
> > that don't match.
>
> I'm not sure. I don't know for certain for ARM, but on  other  archi-
> tectures  GCC  will  happily  generate FP instructions for example to
> perform fast memory copy operations (like when  assigning  structures
> of the "right" size).

I'm having similar doubts, as I wrote in my previous post. Please read
it again (to the end.)

In practice, however, I have not seen this kind of optimising as of
yet. Maybe on ARM there is no gain in performance. Unless there is a
proper (read: for all ARM architectures, and working like we know it
from powerpc-linux) -msoft-float patch for GCC 3, I'm inclined to just
(carefully) drop -msoft-float from *boot.

I'm curious about Robert Schwebel's assessment of this issue, since I
know he's been workin on this.

Regards,
Marius

--
Marius Groeger <mgroeger at sysgo.com>
Project Manager

SYSGO Real-Time Solutions AG | Embedded and Real-Time Software
Am Pfaffenstein 14
55270 Klein-Winternheim, Germany

Voice: +49-6136-9948-0 | FAX: +49-6136-9948-10
www.sysgo.com | www.elinos.com | www.osek.de