[U-Boot-Users] telnet server on u-boot

VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) Gerald.VanBaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Tue Feb 24 18:50:38 CET 2004

I've used UDP packets on other projects using NetCat (nc -u) http://netcat.sourceforge.net/ to give me an interactive console over UDP.  This works really well for command/response type interaction.  It works less well on console messages type interactions when the embedded system is spontaneously sending print messages.

Since UDP is connectionless, you need to determine when and to whom to send print messages.  As I see it, there are a couple of options:

1) Use an environment variable to set the IP address and the port of the destination.  If the env var doesn't exist or is set to 0, suppress the UDP packets.  Note that this would allow the destination to be the broadcast IP address which would be good for capturing packets, and especially usefull for using a host to log them, but bad if you have lots of embedded systems all spewing lots of messages.  It would also allow the embedded system to target a given host.

2) If the embedded system receives a packet on the console UDP port, send all console packets back to the sender.  This would allow the interaction to be triggered by an arbitrary host, but would require that host to knock on the door of the embedded system first (not good for initial power up messages).

My preference would be #1.

gvb

The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and notify your system manager.  Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.  The views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The company accepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.