[U-Boot-Users] initrd

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Feb 25 21:09:54 CET 2004

Dear marco,

in message <200402251718.23099.Schramel.Linux at go.bartec.de> you wrote:

> My own buildt U-boot runs on my evalboard. Now i ve downloaded the linuxppc_2_4_devel, have configured it for 8270 and builded it (with ELDK).
> How are the right steps for initializing the board with kernel and initrd?

See http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/LinuxRamdiskRoot (and
previous sections).

> 	unlock ......

What's "unlock" ?

> 	erase ....
> 	tftpboot 100000 kernelimage
> 	printenv filesize
> 	cp.b 100000	100000 filesize

Makes no sense. Traget address  should  be  !=  source  address.  Use
"$(filesize)" instead of filesize.

> 	tftpboot 100000 uInitRD
> 	printenv filesize
> 	cp.b 100000	300000 filesize

If you just copy from RAM to RAM then why not TFTP to 300000?
Also, "$(filesize)" is required.

> 	setenv bootm 100000 300000

This does not do what you think yo do. I guess what you want is more like

setenv bootcmd 'tftp 200000 kernelimage;tftp 300000 uInitRD;bootm 200000 300000'

> 	saveenv bootm

Syntax error. "saveenv" does not take arguments.

> Can i do this like this way ???

You _can_ do this, but it won't make you happy ;-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
A fanatic is a person who can't change his mind and won't change  the
subject.                                          - Winston Churchill