[U-Boot-Users] SoC -- a new port and coding style

Curt Brune curt at acm.org
Sun Feb 29 23:52:11 CET 2004

I have a "porting to a new chip" question.  I see the u-boot directory
structure allows for CPU specific stuff to go in cpu/ and board
specific stuff to go in board/ .  My question regards a SoC based on
an ARM7TDMI core from Samsung called the s3c4510.

The "s3c4510" has a whole bunch of registers for the ethernet, uart,
timers, i2c -- none of which has anything to do with the ARM7TDMI
core or the board.

There does not seem to be an appropriate place in the u-boot directory
structure to put the "s3c4510" specific stuff -- it has nothing to do
the CPU and it is not board specific either (I've seen at least 3
other boards based on the Samsung chip which configure the s3c4510
differently).

Where would be the "right" place to put such changes?  Seems I could:

a. jam them in cpu/arm720t with #ifdef
b. create cpu/arm7tdmi and include the s3c4510 in board/
c. create cpu/s3c4510

Cheers,
Curt