[U-Boot-Users] Linux Kernel Hangs..

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jan 3 13:11:13 CET 2004

Hello,

in message <20040103095200.26110.qmail at web10605.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> I am trying to bring up Linux on EST8260 board. U-boot
> has come up and I was able to run some example program
> that comes along with U-boot. But when I am trying to
> boot linux I am getting the following messages. (Debug
> flag has been enabled).

> immr_base   = 0x0F000000

May I ask why you changed the existing configuration?

"include/configs/sbc8260.h" sets the IMMR at 0xF0000000  which  works
fine with Linux. Your setting cannot work.

> I was going through the mailing list and I found that
> many have faced similar problem. I am using Linux

Yes, as many people tend to ignore FAQ's.

> 2.4.22. I tried almost all the options like changing
> the baudrate, setting and unsetting the clocks_in_mhz
> variable, etc. The bd_info structure definition is
> same both in Linux kernel tree and U-boot source. The
> variables CFG_IMMR and IMAP_ADDR are also similar. I

Similar or identical?

See
http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-embedded/200005/msg00157.html
for an explanation why your IMMR mapping is broken  and  cannot  work
with Linux.

And read the docs like the DULG at
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/Manual or the EMbedded PPC
HOWTO at http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/PPCEmbedded/Introduction

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The word "fit", as I understand it, means "appropriate to a purpose",
and I would say the body of the Dean is supremely appropriate to  the
purpose of sitting around all day and eating big heavy meals.
                                 - Terry Pratchett, _Moving Pictures_