[U-Boot-Users] No output on serial console for mpc8280

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Jan 11 16:56:22 CET 2004

In message <20040110145623.22872.qmail at web10607.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> I am porting U-boot to MPC8280 by taking U-boot port
> on mpc8260ads as reeference. My clock configuration is
> correct. Bus Frequency is 100 Mhz, CPM Frequency is

Check it again, thiugh.

> of mpc8280. While debugging, I ensured that
> serial_init function is running correctly, But I am

So what is it doing? Looping in the receive characters  loop?  Trying
to send characters? or what?

> not able to see any output on the serial console. Am I
> missing any register settings?

Maybe you did not disable flow control in your terminal program?

> I also want to know the significance of board_pre_init
> function (and this statement "bcsr[1] = ~FETHIEN1 &
> ~RS232EN_1;") in mpc8260ads.c and the significance of
> CFG_BCSR value. Right now I have kept the value of
> CFG_BCSR at 0xF4500000.

Check with the Motorola hardware dosumentation for the  operation  of
the  Board Control and Status Register and the maning of it's bits. I
doubt that you have a compatible BCSR on your hardware, though.

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
We Klingons believe as you do -- the sick should die. Only the strong
should live.
	-- Kras, "Friday's Child", stardate 3497.2