[U-Boot-Users] Running U-Boot as a standalone application

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 14 23:34:52 CET 2004

In message <C7FFFEA58B43D311920D0004ACE5333F10E4F513 at amer25.avnet.com> you wrote:

> The board I'm using (PPChameleonEVB) has 1 MB SRAM at 0xff800000.
> I've modified the .lds file and the flash base in include/configs so
> that "flash" is now taken to be the SRAM.  (I know this is quick and
> dirty, not elegant.  Also I know that the PPChameleonEVB has a jumper
> which swaps CS0# [flash] and CS1# [SRAM], but I don't have a BDI so
> I'm not able to load the SRAM.) Then I make an image file with

You can use the "old" copy of U-Boot to store the image to SRAM, then
switch the jumper, the reset the board.

> mkimage file, address 0xff800000 and entry point 0xff800100, TFTP it
> to the board and execute it.  I obtain:
>
> [board.c, 767] Calling env_relocate ...
> env_relocate[203] offset = 0x2700000
> env_relocate[221] malloced ENV at 01f7f908
> U-Boot relocated to 01fc0000
> [board.c, 907] Calling interrupt_init ...
> Bus Fault @ 0x01fc2f84, fixup 0x00000000
> Machine check in kernel mode.

You would need to change so many things  that  a  working  "debugging
version" gives no indication if a "real" version would run.

IMHO you are wasting your time.

Use the things as they are intended to be used: see above, or buy a BDI.

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large  depo-
sit in my name at a Swiss Bank.                         - Woody Allen