[U-Boot-Users] tftpboot of BIG file fails !

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 27 07:57:32 CET 2004

In message <01a401c3e2a9$c29a0510$6706a8c0 at Rupesh> you wrote:

> I find a typical problem downloading a BIG ( 4MB) linux image to the SDRAM

I don't think this is a typical problem. On contrary, it  is  a  very
UNtypical  problem  since  this has always been working fine on many,
many boards.

> using u-boot's  _tftpboot_ command.
> The Linux image is Linked at 0x20000.

Then your Linux image is broken. You must  not  change  the  kernel's
link  address  unless you know exactly what you are doing. This means
that for example on PowerPC the kernel will be linked  for  (virtual)
address 0xC0000000 and started at (physical) address 0x00000000.

> My u-boot is liked at 0x3e0000 (I understaood this from the following two
> macros)
> TEXT_BASE = 0x3E0000
> CFG_MONITOR_BASE = 0x3E0000

Then your port of U-Boot is seriously broken.

I would like to point out that NONE  of  the  configurations  in  the
public source tree uses such a broken definition.

> So I reconfigured the macros to link the u-boot on _top_ of the SDRAM (SDRAM
> map is 0x00000000 to 0x01000000)

A correctly configured U-Boot will automatically copy itself  at  the
end of the RAM (at least on PPC).

> But still I face the problem of not able to download the BIG image.

You probably have other problems in your port.

> Dows the tftp boot itself restrict the size of the file to be downloaded ?

Yes. The current implementation puts a limit at 16 MB.

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Immortality consists largely of boredom.
	-- Zefrem Cochrane, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3219.8