[U-Boot-Users] Ethernet does not work on at91rm9200

Steven Scholz steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de
Mon Jul 5 19:49:25 CEST 2004

Hi Peter,

> i added CONFIG_AT91C_USE_RMII to my configuration and now it works.
Aah. I hope you know why you did it... ;-)

> but if i boot from filesystem (jffs2) than linux doesnt know the mac-adress.
> if i stop at u-boot prompt, call any network function, and start linux
> afterwords, then linux knows the mac-adress.
>
> does u-boot only initialize the ethernet interface if it is needed?
Yes. That's a declared policy of U-Boot!

> can i force u-boot to init the ethernet interface

Of course you force anything you want. You could put

	eth_init (gd->bd);

in you board specific board_init();
This way the init code in at91rm9200_ether.c gets called and write the MAC
address into the ethernet controller...

 > or is there another 'standard' way to tell linux the mac-adress?
You could pass "MAC=xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx" as bootargs to the linux kernel.
Although I am not sure right now if the at91rm9200 linux ethernet driver
would actually care. But it should not be too hard to implemtent taht feature...

Good luck,

Steven