[U-Boot-Users] HW ressources required by U-boot?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 8 17:36:29 CEST 2004

In message <001301c464fd$04995e40$3136a8c0 at sassenage.massy.thalesees.com> you wrote:

> could you please list the minimal Hardware resources required by U-boot. I

CPU and RAM.

This is all you need to have a running system. Not that it  would  be
of any use, of course.

> mean what are the mandatory peripherals that we should  integrate (for
> example: Interruption controller, uart.....)
>
> ( I am working with a Virtex II Pro FPGA integrating a PowerPC processor)

I think you put the cart before the horse. It's not the  boot  loader
that  determines  which peripherals are needed, but your application.
U-Boot is flexible enough to do with what's available.

Of course, an UART for a serial console port is pretty useful, as  is
an  Ethernet interface because it greatly accelerates the development
cycle. Or some flash memory  to  save  your  images  and  envrionment
variables, etc.

Bot none of this is strictly necessary.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that  causes  you
to  stumble.  Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you
have crossed the mountain.