[U-Boot-Users] ARM: initial ramdisk

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 20 10:19:04 CEST 2004

Dear Andrea,

in message <6.0.1.1.0.20040720094532.020265a8 at 192.168.2.1> you wrote:
> I have a doubt about initial ramdisk placement.
> The image has been stored at 0x1020:0000. I expect that U-Boot, before
> launching the kernel, copies the cramfs image
> from 0x1020:0000 to 0x0900:0000 but it does not. When the kernel boots, it

This  has  been  discussed  several  times  before.  Please  see  the
archives, for example
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=6839224

> it is placed outside the RAM boundaries:

If it's stored in flash (i. e. directly addressabel memory), then why
should we copy to RAM first, befor the  kernel  creates  yet  another
copy of it?

> Am I missing something?

A patch? :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Program maintenance is an entropy-increasing process,  and  even  its
most skilfull execution only delays the subsidence of the system into
unfixable obsolescence.       - Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man Month"