[U-Boot-Users] Problems with binutils 2.15

Yuli Barcohen yuli at arabellasw.com
Tue Jun 1 08:52:30 CEST 2004

    Wolfgang> In message <40BAB325.1050603 at opersys.com> you wrote:

    Karim> I've been playing around trying to get U-Boot 1.1.1 (and
    Karim> previous versions) to build with the following toolchain:
    Karim> - binutils 2.15
    Karim> - gcc 3.3.2
    Karim> - glibc 2.3.2

    Wolfgang> glibc does not matter here; U-Boot is self-contained and
    Wolfgang> does not need any glibc stuff.

    Karim> Now, this starts to build and goes far enough, but somehow LD
    Karim> actually seg faults somewhere down the line. I've copied the
    Karim> Anyone see this before?

    Wolfgang> I haven't seen any reports (neither positive nor negative)
    Wolfgang> about binutils 2.15 yet. With 2.14 it works fine here.

I use 2.14.90.7 and have got the same problem. IMHO it's an LD bug which
appears in very special case: if you request the map (-Map option) and
the link command file (u-boot.lds in this case) contains a conditional
statement (. = DEFINED(env_offset) ? env_offset : .;), the link fails
with segmentation fault. Remove -Map as a workaround and the link should
succeed. I found this some time ago but have not got time to fix the LD.

 Yuli Barcohen       | Phone +972-9-765-1788 |  Software Project Leader
 yuli at arabellasw.com | Fax   +972-9-765-7494 | Arabella Software, Israel